Were you injured by a drunk driver?
Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers
If you’ve been injured, our caring team will help you get the justice you deserve.
Drunk Driver Accident Attorney
Are You Looking For A Drunk Driver Accident Attorney That Will Fight To Get You The Maximum Compensation?
Motor vehicle accidents caused by driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are a major safety problem on the roads and highways. Thousands of car and truck DUI accidents occur every year, causing huge numbers of fatalities and seriously injured motorists, passengers, and pedestrians. Because impaired drivers’ reaction times are diminished, and their judgment is skewed, DUI crashes can be more severe than other automobile collisions.
The car accident lawyers at My Rights Law represent people who are seriously injured by drunk drivers. These types of cases can be quite complicated, so hiring the right law firm is important to help protect your rights to fair and adequate compensation for your injuries.
My Rights Law – Experienced Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers
When you hire a skilled injury attorney from My Rights Law, you could get up to ten times more then the original insurance offer. The drunk driver accident lawyers at My Rights Law are dedicated to helping people injured in accidents caused by drunk drivers receive the maximum compensation possible. If you or a family member is the victim of a drunk driver accident, give us a call now for a free case evaluation. Most cases are on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t charge attorney fees unless we obtain monetary compensation for you and your family. Call us today at (888) 702-8882 or leave us a message on our secure form.
- 1. My Rights Law – Experienced Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers
- 2. DUI Accident Victims Deserve Justice
- 3. What Can A DUI Accident Lawyer Do For You?
- 4. The DUI Driver May Not Be The Only Person Liable For Damages
- 5. DUI Statute Of Limitations
- 6. What Type Of Damages Are Recoverable?
- 7. DUI Injury Attorneys
- 8. Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer FAQ
- 9. How Can A DUI Car Crash Lawyer Help My Family And Me?
- 10. Drunk Driving Accidents
- 11. What Kind Of Damages Can I Get For Bringing A Lawsuit Over A DUI Crash?
- 12. Calling A Lawyer
- 13. What Should I Do If I Was Injured By A Drunk Driver?
DUI Accident Victims Deserve Justice
Nearly 1 in 3 automobile accidents involving a fatality is caused by an intoxicated driver. Under some states’ laws, driving while drunk is considered per se negligence, meaning that an intoxicated driver is by definition a negligent driver and is responsible for any injuries they cause. Typically, a driver with a blood alcohol level (BAC) of .08 violates DUI, DWI, or OWI laws, and the driver can be arrested and charged. However, criminal charges against the drunk driver are a punishment to that person. A criminal conviction for a DUI does not adequately compensate someone for injuries sustained in a fatal car accident. That is why hiring a DUI attorney to fight for the rights of the injured is the best course of action.
An experienced drunk driving accident lawyer should do whatever is necessary to build a solid case against the negligent driver. It is only with the collection of all of the appropriate evidence and proof of serious injuries that a DUI accident victim can obtain proper justice. The drunk driver’s automobile insurance company will do everything possible and fight tooth and nail to not have to pay fair and reasonable compensation to the injured plaintiff. As a DUI victim, you need a tough team fighting on your side to help ensure that you are compensated and made whole.
What Can A DUI Accident Lawyer Do For You?
An injured plaintiff should not attempt to deal with or negotiate a settlement by themselves with the DUI driver’s automobile insurance company. The insurance adjusters know all the tricks and may not be honest with you on the appropriate value of your case. You need a DUI accident expert on your side that can do everything necessary to develop a strong case on your behalf. Here are just a few things that an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer can do for you:
- Answer all of your questions in a clear, honest, and compassionate manner so that you know what to expect and how the case will proceed.
- Gather whatever physical evidence there is in order to prove that the other driver was at fault and caused the accident.
- Take photographs of the accident scene as well as photographs of the damaged vehicles so that, if necessary, an accident reconstruction expert can render an expert opinion as to how the collision occurred.
- Obtain and review the police accident report.
- Identify any and all witnesses to the accident and try to take recorded statements from them as soon as possible, so no facts are forgotten.
- Obtain all the medical records and testing reports demonstrating the nature and extent of the injuries.
- Research any prior DUI convictions and arrests that the defendant might have.
- Obtain any evidence that was used in the DUI conviction or trial.
- Research and investigate any other parties that might be responsible for the ultimate cause of the DUI accident.
- Deal with any health insurance company issues or medical billing issues so that the injured client does not have to spend a lot of time on the phone with these people. The injured plaintiff should only have to focus on getting better.
- Be the client’s advocate when dealing with the defendant’s automobile insurance company.
- Attempt to settle the case for fair and adequate compensation for the plaintiff’s injuries.
- If a settlement is not possible, file a lawsuit against the DUI driver and bring the case to court.
The DUI Driver May Not Be The Only Person Liable For Damages
Some DUI cases can become very complicated because there may be someone else or some other company responsible for the accident, not just the drunk driver. An experienced DUI accident lawyer will investigate the case and determine if there is anyone else that should be responsible. If so, then the driver, as well as other people or companies, might be responsible for compensating the injured plaintiff. All possible sources of money damages must be investigated. In some states, potential defendants include the following:
- Bars and nightclubs where alcohol is served. If the bar or nightclub serves alcohol to a customer who is visibly intoxicated and then allows that customer to leave and drive away in a vehicle, then the bar or nightclub can be responsible for any injuries caused by the drunk driver.
- Similarly, restaurants that serve alcohol face the same liability. The restaurant cannot serve alcohol to someone who is already visibly intoxicated.
- Parents of teenage drivers. In some instances, when a drunk driver is a teenager driving their parents’ car or truck, and the teen gets into an accident, then the parents might be held responsible as well. For example, if parents of a teenager supply alcohol for a party and allow their child to drive while intoxicated, then the parents could be held liable for any personal injury damages.
- Like bars and nightclubs, hosts of private parties where alcohol is served could be responsible for any injuries caused by a driver who got drunk at the party and was allowed to leave while intoxicated. This host liability theory even applies if it is a private party at someone’s house.
DUI Statute Of Limitations
There is a specific time that a victim’s lawsuit must be filed against a drunk driver who caused them to suffer personal injuries, damages, or losses. This lawsuit is separate and apart from any criminal charges or criminal trials that might happen as there is a difference between a criminal case and a civil case. A criminal case is where the state prosecutes a person for a violation of state laws. If found guilty, the DUI criminal defendant is subject to punishment which could include jail time, community service, fines, court costs, restitution, and probation. None of these things have anything to do with a civil lawsuit against the DUI driver.
Under most states’ laws, an injured plaintiff has just a few years from the date of the accident to file a claim (lawsuit) against the DUI driver or any other defendants that might be responsible such as a bar or restaurant. If a lawsuit is not filed within the statute of limitations, then the injured plaintiff will be barred from seeking any type of compensation from the at-fault driver. This is why it is extremely important to contact an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as possible. If you were seriously injured by a drunk driver, do not wait to hire a lawyer to fight for your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Type Of Damages Are Recoverable?
A person who was injured by a drunk driver is entitled to be fully compensated as much as the law and facts of the case allow. A lawyer who focuses their law practice on representing people injured in car and truck accidents will know what their client deserves and how much money to seek. Here are some of the types of damages that may be claimed in a DUI accident lawsuit:
- Medical costs: This category of damages includes medical bills such as ambulance bills, emergency room treatment, surgeries, physical therapy, and rehabilitation medical services. This category also includes the cost of any future medical treatment that might be necessary.
- Lost wages: This category of damages includes lost employment wages from the date of the accident if the injuries from the DUI accident prevented you from working. Lost wages also include the sum of money that an injured person might lose in the future if their disability continues and there is future wage loss or future loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: This category of damages is supposed to compensate the injured plaintiff for any pain and suffering that the person had to endure due to the injury and/or treatment of the injury. There is no specific formula that is used for the calculation of pain and suffering damages. Every case and every plaintiff are different. But an experienced personal injury DUI accident lawyer will be able to place a fair value on this category of damages.
- Punitive damages: In most civil lawsuit cases for personal injuries, punitive damages are not allowed. In most personal injury cases, the plaintiff is only allowed to seek pain and suffering damages and compensatory damages (medical bills and wage loss). However, in some cases where the defendant’s actions are so egregious, horrible, and outrageous, a plaintiff can seek punitive damages against the defendant. Punitive damages are designed not to compensate the plaintiff but to punish the defendant for their outrageous behavior.
The lawyers and staff at My Rights Law are here for you to answer all of your questions and help you through this traumatic time. We focus our law practice on representing people seriously injured in drunk driving accidents. Call (888) 702-8882 or contact us online for a free consultation.
DUI Injury Attorneys
A DUI accident can be overwhelming – but there are certain things that you can do to make the situation better – and suing the drunk driver is one of them. Because of this, you should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Protect your right to recovery by hiring an experienced DUI injury attorney. The experienced personal injury attorneys at My Rights Law can help you through the entire process. We will vigorously fight on your behalf to see that the drunk driver is held accountable and makes you whole for the harm that they caused you. When you are ready, call (888) 702-8882 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer FAQ
How Can A DUI Car Crash Lawyer Help My Family And Me?
An experienced DUI accident lawyer, or a personal injury attorney who is experienced with these types of auto accident cases, can help clients get financial compensation from those who are to blame for the incidents. Because accident lawyers know a lot about DUI crashes, and they often bring all sorts of car accident lawsuits on behalf of injured victims, they know the legal system and how to negotiate with defendants and their insurance companies.
Remember that insurance companies have experienced car accident lawyers representing them when it comes to drunk driving crashes and other motor vehicle accidents. You will want a firm of skilled injury lawyers who can go up against the insurance company in a drunk driving case. A free initial consultation with a DUI accident attorney will enable you to establish whether you have a viable personal injury claim and how you should proceed with filing a claim or lawsuit.
My Rights Law is comprised of experienced injury lawyers. The firm provides its clients with a free consultation to help them understand their legal options. My Rights Law treats clients like family and takes the attorney client relationship seriously. Our car accident lawyers strive to help every one of our injured clients with getting maximum compensation and justice.
Drunk Driving Accidents
When someone’s blood alcohol concentration exceeds state limits, and that person gets behind the wheel and causes a car wreck, then drunk driving injuries can easily happen. Typically, an auto accident involves one motor vehicle crashing into another vehicle. With a drunk driving collision, there could be many vehicles involved, especially if the impaired driver is operating a commercial vehicle. A victim of a car wreck could suffer serious injuries (e.g., broken bones, back injuries, spinal cord injuries), which may result in death. Other victims of car accidents might die on impact. Car accident lawyers represent victims (or families in wrongful death lawsuits) against drunk drivers in civil court. A drunk driver also faces potential charges in criminal court.
What Kind Of Damages Can I Get For Bringing A Lawsuit Over A DUI Crash?
By having a qualified lawyer represent you (the injury victim) in a drunk driving accident case, you could get various types of economic damages which can cover things like medical bills, medical expenses, lost wages, and any other quantifiable expense or cost relating to the accident such as property damage. You could also receive compensation for pain and suffering and other non-economic damages. Some drunk driving accident cases can be worth millions of dollars based on the injuries and damages involved.
It is possible that the drunk driver’s insurance company might deny the drunk driving accident claim, but settlement offers can quickly arise, especially when there is a catastrophic injury or fatality. Car accident lawyers should know how to successfully negotiate with an insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve. Drunk driving accident attorneys will demand fair treatment of you.
Calling A Lawyer
If you have sustained severe injuries because of a drunk driving crash, then touch base with a car accident attorney who specifically knows about DUI and personal injury laws, who offers free consultations, and who will go the extra mile for their clients. A free consultation with an automobile accident attorney enables car accident victims and their families to know what route to take legally. Each drunk driving lawsuit is different.
What Should I Do If I Was Injured By A Drunk Driver?
Do not make the mistake of hiring just any law firm or legal team to try to get you a fair settlement. The drunk driving accident attorneys at My Rights Law are devoted to helping injury victims get justice and compensation in drunk driving claims. With your consultation, we will evaluate the circumstances which resulted in your injury, including any police reports and statements from witnesses, and advise you on your options. Most personal injury cases stemming from drunk driving accidents are handled on a contingency fee basis, so attorney’s fees are not due unless you obtain a recovery in your insurance claim or civil claim (personal injury lawsuit). We strive to get you and your family maximum financial compensation in your drunk driving accident case. To speak with My Rights Law’s experienced attorneys, call (888) 702-8882 or contact us through our secure web form.
No Recovery, No Fee. Free Case Evaluation
CALL OUR CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS 24/7 OR LEAVE A MESSAGE ON THIS SECURE FORM TO GET OUR IMMEDIATE ADVICE