A California DUI Defense Attorney at our offices can help explain the below to you, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
The DUI Laws in California for a first time DUI defendant may face a maximum of 6-months in jail, fines over $5,000, and must take an approved DUI course. In addition, there may be an imposition of community service, an ignition interlock device on the defendants car, or attending AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings. In addition, the DMV may also suspend or restrict your drivers licence.
In California, there may also be “Enhancements”, if:
1. There was a child under fourteen in the vehicle;
2. Speeding in excess of 20mph on surface streets or 30 mph on highways;
3. There was a refusal to give a chemical test;
4. Having a Blood Alcohol Content level of 0.15 percent or higher;
5. Having one or more prior convictions within the previous ten years.
- 96 hours to one year in county jail
- Up to $1800 in fines and fees
- 2-year license suspension
- 120 days to one year in county jail
- Up to $3000 in fines and fees
- 3-year license revocation
- An in-patient Alcohol treatment program
Fourth (or More) DUI
- A Felony
- Up to 3 years in a state prison
- Up to $3000 in fines
- 4-year license revocation
- An inpatient alcohol treatment program
Although the law can seem daunting, hiring a dedicated lawyer can help with a lot of the aggravation and stress involved with the process. In Los Angeles County, Orange County and the Inland Empire, including Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, a DUI attorney can in some cases get community service or house-arrest instead of jail time. In addition, with proper lawyering and investigation by a DUI attorney in Riverside or San Bernardino County (The Inland Empire), you are far more likely to get a plea deal or dismissal. Examples of plea deals are a “wet and reckless” or “dry and reckless”.
Please feel free to contact us so we can help explain the details of how the penalties will apply to your case and how we can help you beat a DUI arrest.
CALIFORNIA COURTS WE SERVE
Alhambra, Banning, Bellflower, Burbank, Compton, Downey, East Los Angeles, El Monte, Fullerton, Glendale, Indio, Inglewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Murrieta, Newport Beach, Norwalk, Pasadena, Pomona, Rancho Cucamonga, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, Torrance, Van Nuys, Victorville, West Covina, Westminster